Seiten

Interview with Gareth Pugh

Sunday 1 June 2014


Yesterday I was lucky enough to attend Graduate Fashion Week 2014! This is something I have been looking forward to for quite some time, after I had such a great experience helping out backstage dressing the models last year. You can read my blog post HERE

This years event was held at the Truman Brewery on Brick Lane which gave the whole occasion a much more “london grunge” kind of vibe. Before heading to the runway to watch the fantastic Northumbria show I visited Studio One for a interview with Gareth Pugh & Hillary Alexander.



Gareth Pugh is a designer that I have been following for a few years now, I was always writing about his work in my critical journal at art college so it was amazing to see him in the flesh! For those of you who don't know his work where have you been you should definitely check him out!

After recently graduating from Central Saint Martins, Pugh started working closely with his friends in a studio in Peckham. He told us "It's important not to work alone, it's very difficult to do everything with just one pair of hands when really you could have three. At the end of the day, I still work with people I met at university, and it's always nice to be able to build something together.” It was also quite reassuring to hear that he too made lots of cups of tea while interning, although his tea was for Rick Owens and Michelle Lamy who he still works closely with today.
It was comforting to see that despite the fashion industry being a competitive place to break into - it can be done! Even if it is through "happy accidents" like Gareth. He advised anyone who wished to succeed to do it for themselves rather than for the money. "I never got into this to be rich, I never wanted to feel as if I were churning things out for the sake of it. At the end of the day I make the decisions and that's what my team and I are most comfortable with.”

This was an amazing experience and so inspiring. If any of you have the chance to get your hands on some tickets and attend Graduate Fashion Week I would highly recommend going! I will be blogging about the runway show I went to soon - stay tuned! I can't wait for next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner